As our loved ones age, sometimes we cannot care for them alone. When you turn to a nursing home to care for your loved one, you expect professional care provided in a clean, structured, and safe environment.
Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. Nursing home abuse and neglect rank among the top reasons for injuries in elderly people. If you suspect your loved one is being abused or neglected by a nursing home, you need to be an advocate for your loved on. We can help.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse is a deliberate act. A worker intentionally causes pain, harm, or suffering to your loved one. This can include:
- Physical abuse – Physical abuse occurs when a nursing home employee strikes or shoves a client, force feeds him or her, or uses excessive forms of restraint.
- Sexual abuse – Sexual abuse occurs when a nursing home employee sexually assaults or batters your loved one with inappropriate touching or any other non-consensual sexual activity.
- Emotional abuse – Emotional abuse occurs when a nursing home employee threatens, scolds, curses at, ignores, humiliates, or intimidates your loved one.
Nursing home neglect is a bit different than abuse. Neglect occurs when the nursing home staff does not do their job in a reasonably safe and effective manner. While they don’t necessarily set out to harm your loved one, they still do.
Examples of nursing home neglect include:
- Physical neglect – Poor bathing, lack of bathroom use, and incorrect body positioning
- Medical neglect – Failure to give medical care, give pills correctly, and failure to provide medical aid
- Failure to prevent and assist – Failure to assist eating, drinking, bathing, bathroom use, and ignoring cries for help
All of these forms of abuse are terrible. You trust the nursing home to hire qualified employees who will not engage in this type of activity. But if the worst happens and your loved one is suffering, then you need an aggressive nursing home abuse attorney in Milwaukee to guide you through how to respond and recover the compensation you need to keep your loved one safe from further harm.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Your loved one may show mild or severe signs of abuse and neglect. This is why it’s important to take action immediately if suspect neglect is present.
Signs and symptoms include:
- Signs of restraint
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Weight loss
- Poor hygiene
- Unsanitary living conditions
Some signs of abuse and neglect may be difficult to spot. You know your loved one best and if you suspect something is wrong, it’s better to be safe than sorry. You owe it to your loved one to know for sure what is happening and if their health is in danger.
If you have questions about how to help your loved one when you suspect abuse at a Milwaukee-area nursing home, then contact Groth Law as soon as possible.
Steps to Take if You Suspect Your Loved One Is Suffering
It’s truly heartbreaking to see a loved one suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect. You want to make sure your loved one is cared for, their medical needs are provided for, and someone is looking out for their general well being. But when you learn your loved one is suffering, you must take action to protect them.
- Take detailed notes. As soon as you notice something not quite right, take notes. Document what you see in as much detail as you can. Note the condition of the room, the furniture, your loved one’s clothes, and belongings. Often times, when there is abuse or neglect at a nursing home, theft is also present.
- Keep names and photographs. In your notes, keep detailed records of the people coming and going from your loved one’s room. Keep notes about your interactions with them and if you say anything to them alerting them to the abuse or neglect concerns. If your loved one shows physical signs of abuse or neglect, take pictures with your phone. You want to have these images as evidence to help your claim later.
- Call 911. If you see clear signs of abuse or neglect or your loved one is clearly suffering in any way, call 911. You cannot ignore what your loved one is going through. You must take action to help them.
- Call Groth Law. Take action to hold those responsible for your loved one’s suffering accountable. By working with Groth Law, you gain access to years of legal experience from a skilled team whose goal is working to help protect the rights of nursing home patients.
Compensation for Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse and neglect is a complex area of law. It’s sometimes difficult to prove abuse or neglect by a nursing home. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee can help you with making a claim and protecting your loved one’s health and safety.
When you work with us, we work hard to help you recover compensation for your loved one to help them get better. We’ll fight to collect damages for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Relocation costs
- Your lost wages
Not only will we fight to get your loved one’s medical bills covered completely, we can also try to get you some compensation for your efforts. You’ve spent time out of work dealing with your loved one’s suffering. We can help you try to collect your lost wages and any out of pocket expenses you have provided to help your loved one recover.
Protect Your Loved One
Working with Groth Law costs you nothing up front. We will meet with you, evaluate your case, gain an understanding of the situation your loved one has experienced, and, if you decide to retain us, guide you to the best possible outcome.
Whether we can settle your case or we need to take it all the way to trial, we are prepared, experienced, and able to do so. Contact us online or by calling (414) 240-0707 today.